Out of Norm Travels - 2010 - Farewell to Bhutan...last day in Bhutan

[transferred from my other blog, http://mty-sensa.blogspot.sg/2010/07/farewell-to-bhutan.html]

When I wrote this, I was sitting in Paro airport waiting to board the only flight out of Bhutan to Bangkok ETD 1150am.
 
My room-mate asked me this morning if I am happy to leave Bhutan. I replied that I am neither happy or sad to leave as although I have enjoyed my 8 full days of travelling in Bhutan, I am grateful for the experience yet thankful to be back home soon in Singapore.
 
My most memorable experience in Bhutan is the sight of Tiger's Nest or Taktshang Monastery in Paro. I opted for a horse ride up to the holy place which is some 45mins-1hr by walking. It was an enjoyable albeit sometimes nerve wreaking experience as the horse tended to trot along the cliff edge as it goes up the mountain side.
 
What was special for me to lay eyes on the monastery is that it has come to represent Bhutan to me. In almost every literature about Bhutan, a picture of this monastery will be shown. It really looks like it is etched along the cliff; perched precariously against it almost as if it was about to drop off the cliff side. I walked up to the 2nd viewpoint at 3140m to enjoy the view of the famous landmark before heading down to the cafeteria at 2940m for lunch. Here’s my fav pictures of the Taktshang Monastery:

After the walk downhill back to where the bus waits, the group decided to head down to Paro town for a quick 1.5hr shopping. I purchased some trinkets in the form of silver boxes, containers. I also managed to get some rare 3D stamps of the various festival masks used in Bhutan. This was an enjoyable little excursion for me.
 
After heading back to the hotel, I arranged for a relaxing hour of massage with the help of the guide, Tsenchou from one of the shop in town. It was definitely expensive at USD50 but I really needed some help with the pain in my calves!! I guess it is largely due to the non stop walking for the past few days especially the trekking part for close to 1000m.
 
What won't I miss about Bhutan? The flies or rather those that tend to fly into your nose/ mouth when you walk up to the monasteries or along the trek.
 
Save for the little peeve, Bhutan is a place that is just as I imagined - the rural untouched & gorgeously beautiful Shangri-la.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Out of Norm Travels -Beijing China - Walk up to Great Wall of China (JinShanLing section) on 21 May 2012

Out of Norm Travels - 2020 Yoga Retreat in Nepal

Out of Norm Travels - Iceland The Land of Contrasts