Out of Norm Travels - 2010: Bhutan - 11-20 June 2010 - Day 2

I woke up in Thimphu on day 2 in Bhutan. I took a walk along Thimphu town before morning breakfast and sighted many colorful Buddhist motifs (usually the 8 lucky symbols) painted on the pillars and buildings. I do think Bhutan has the prettiest petrol stations and bridges as even those are painted all over!! My fav shots with a monk walking along the painted bridge and the most beautiful petrol station...

Part of the Sunday morning was spent at the weekend market. I managed to get a nice scarf cum belt for US10. A bridge links between the handicraft and the wet market sections. All of Thimphu's residents purchase their fresh produce for the week at the wet market section. The fresh produce market gives a nice authentic feeling to the whole place to save it from being too touristy. Here are my fav shot (1) Lady I got my scarf cum belt from (2) Bridge the links the 2 sections
We had a quick stop at the Takin Preserve to take a look at the adult and baby Takin, the National Animal of Bhutan before continuing upwards to a scenic spot filled with prayer flags for a bird’s eye view over Thimphu.

Frankly, the prayer flags is to me, what is unique about Bhutan and countries in the Himalayan regions as somehow when you see the prayer flags, I am reminded about the place and how its religion is inter-twined with the country. Here’s my fav shot of the prayer flags:
A quick stop-over at a nunnery dedicated to a Tibetan saint called “Iron Bridge Builder” before proceeding down to Punakha, another 3 hour drive from Thimphu. Along the way, we passed by Dochu-la which is at 3050m elevation.
 
Had a tea stop near the 108 chortens where I tasted (and didn't like) butter milk tea. I will have 2 nights’ rest over at Meri Pusuam, a quaint little hotel on a hill at Punakha Valley.
 
That's the end of my 2nd day. Till my next blog entry!!
 
[Transferred from my other blog, http://mty-sensa.blogspot.sg/]

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Out of Norm Travels -Beijing China - Walk up to Great Wall of China (JinShanLing section) on 21 May 2012

Out of Norm Travels - 2020 Yoga Retreat in Nepal

Out of Norm Travels - Iceland The Land of Contrasts