Out of Norm Travels - 2010: Bhutan - Trek from days 5-7 in Bhutan i.e. 16-18 June 2010

Transferred from my other blog, http://mty-sensa.blogspot.sg/
 
The guidebook said that trekking in Bhutan offers the best opportunity to experience the “real Bhutan”. I cannot agree more although it was definitely the most challenging part for me personally for the whole trip. I think the altitude didn’t help with the “mini expedition”. I could hear the thumping of my heart throughout the entire 7 hours or so trek on the 1st day and will totally agree with my pre-trip assessment that this part of the trip is and will be a “once in lifetime experience” for me.
 
The trek started at Haa valley. This place is, according to the guidebook, only opened to tourists on 2001. We arrived in Haa valley after a drive through the Chele-la Pass from Paro which is also the highest drivable road in Bhutan at 3810m.
 
The town of Haa is essentially a training camp for Bhutan army by the Indian army. Wheat is grown here instead of rice as its elevation is higher than Paro at 2670m.
 
The start of the trek is from a place called Kajena where we met with our trekking crew of 8 including a 13 year-old (!!) horseman. The crew basically helps to set up camp, cook & serve meals. All the personal gear, tents, kitchen & foodie carried by 7 horses.
 
On the way to the camp, we stopped for lunch at a meadow that was a nice retreat from the heat that was unexpectedly accompanying me along the trek (together with the flies and little bugs). I discovered that I actually don't enjoy trekking as it is really tough on my body, legs, knees and breathing especially at high altitudes.
 
Even though camping is something I quite like (maybe from my guiding days), camping in the cold and staying awake because of the cold is really not any fun for me as well.
 
On the 2nd day of the trek, instead of another trek, I chose to stay in camp and didn't do anything much except sleeping away my headache. I only started to wander around 3 pm by taking about an hour's walk around the campsite area. Here’s the picks of the trek photos (mostly taken using PnS):

Me pointing to the location of the end of my trek - base camp!!


17Jun10_HaaValley_Campsite

17Jun10_HaaValley_CookTent

HaaValley_Campfire
What I love about the trek period was the silence and sitting around the fireplace at the evening after dinner. The food cooked by the chef was a good eat and welcoming especially in the cold.
 
I managed to see the Blue Poppy, the reason for the arduous trek on the evening of day 2 and a whole meadow filled with them on my way down from base camp back to Haa valley on day 3 (18 June 2010). It was a gorgeous sight. According to the guidebook, the Blue Poppy only grows in the altitude of 3500-5500m and only blooms after May and before July every year. Here’s my fav picture of Bhutan’s national flower.

HaaValley_BluePoppy

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Out of Norm Travels -Beijing China - Walk up to Great Wall of China (JinShanLing section) on 21 May 2012

Out of Norm Travels - 2020 Yoga Retreat in Nepal

Out of Norm Travels - 2010: Bhutan trip 11-20 June 2010 - Days 3 and 4