Out of Norm Travels -Beijing China - Walk up to Great Wall of China (JinShanLing section) on 21 May 2012


This is a tick of my "to-do" list - Climb the Great Wall of China. There was never a doubt in my mind that I will do this climb & I was fortunate enough to do it again before I turn half century old. 

Unlike my recollection of my first trip up along the Great Wall where I had little time to explore the Great Wall, this trip was arranged specially to ensure that I got to travel from one end of the Wall to another. As a result, I got to spend a significant time taking photos of the journey up along the Wall (without the thousands of best friends that would get their head into the picture). I specifically avoided the more popular Badaling section is where hordes of tourists are ferried when it comes to climbing the Great Wall. 


This time the climb was carried out at the JingShanLing section of the Wall - where the old section of the Wall is still standing. This meant that in most areas my group of 3 was very much walking up along the Wall on our own with not many other tourists getting in the way or photographs. 

I had wondered about the time that I will need to complete the journey especially since my intention is to take a significant number of photos but on an overall basis, I think I did it well in good time :) 

The journey from Beijing centre to that section of the Wall is quite long around 2-3 hours - I believe the trip to Badaling section from the Beijing centre is much more manageable. That being said, the climb itself was not as difficult as I thought but all in all, it is again a mind over matter situation. I had some nice company and help along the way (in the form of 2 local helpful ladies). We took some time to finish the 11 sections of the Wall and I was happy that we at least took the one way cable car up as it allowed a bird's eye view of the area. 


I will end by sharing my 10 insights following the climb up the Wall with my photographs as memories: 



1. One way up is the only way to go 
2. Having a destination in mind always makes the journey worth the effort 
3. When things look bleak or impossible, having support is important 
4. Things are easier with people around - whether by chance or choice
5. It does not matter if you take longer than others to reach your destination - all that matters is actually reaching it
6. The greatest reward is having conquered your greatest fears (which is almost always self doubt) 
7. It is okay to rest on the way up - just taking that breather helps you to enjoy the scenery and surroundings 
8. Always remember to congratulate yourself for every milestone or pit stop achieved as it makes the journey easier
9. Some steps can be wide and open -others small and narrow. All those steps make the journey to the destination 
10.  Last but not least, I climbed the Great Wall of China built thousands and thousands of years ago -  I can face anything that comes along! 





For those who want a better description of what you can discover in this section of the Wall, please check out http://www.greatwallforum.com/forum/jinshanling/467-jinshanling-great-wall-review.html 


Till the next time, onto the world and beyond! 

Comments

  1. Well done ! These are great pictures of the Great Wall! Which reminds me... I should go through my India pictures and post some. I log on to your blog on a regular basis. Having read this I thought it was rather informative. I appreciate you finding the time and energy to put this article together. I once again find myself personally spending a significant amount of time both reading and leaving comments. But so what, it was still worth it!

    I also found a great blog of Jinshanling travel tips, I'd love to share it here with you and for future travelers. http://www.wildgreatwall.com/how-difficult-is-it-to-do-great-wall-one-day-hike-from-jinshanling-to-simatai-west/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks @Wong Ricky. Greatly appreciate that you come by my blog often and leaving your wonderful comments. Wow! India! Another one in my "to-do" list! Your message just came in the right time as I was just about to arrange for my Beijing trip in July and will definitely be contacting you at http://www.wildgreatwall.com/ for a Great Wall overnighter! Cheerios!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Out of Norm Travels - 2020 Yoga Retreat in Nepal

Out of Norm Travels - 2010: Bhutan trip 11-20 June 2010 - Days 3 and 4