Out of Norm Travels - Alaska adventure in 2014

Started on this entry whilst traveling on the Alaska Airlines plane flying away from Fairbanks on my return leg after spending 5 nights at Bettles Lodge, near the Arctic Circle

Never in my wildest dreams would I imagine that I will be adding Arctic Circle to my "have been" places! To think photography was the reason for me spending several nights out in the bitter cold with temperatures that felt like -14 degrees at times. Bettles coldest is -60 I think - there is a sign somewhere. Having my fingers and toes frozen stiff from braving the bitter howling winds and low temperature (alien to someone who lives in the tropics) in the hope of catch lights in my cameras. 

It certainly has been a truly amazing and wonderful experience to have bundled myself to shoot the auroras. The trip has been nothing short of spectacular with sighting of the auroras 4 out of the 5 nights spent at the Bettles Lodge, which sits just next to the airfield. 

After spending the 1st night waiting for the cloud cover to blow over, I was bracing myself for a possibly nil (*yikes*) sighting trip as it was not unheard of to have not seen a single aurora even after spending 1 week at a particular location. But I kept my fingers crossed as this is after all one of the most likely places in the world to see the auroras. 

Thankfully the heavens cleared up from the 2nd night onwards and I was treated to one of natures amazing phenomenons from that time onwards for the rest of my trips.  The first time I saw the lights was  unforgettable with the enormous "Wow" factor. I am truly thankful to have this chance to bear witness to nature's most amazing light display. The lights were on from the early part of the night from the twilight hours with the light showing off at various times throughout the night. 

The last night was exceptionally clear so had a fun time chasing for the auroras over the vast space around Bettles with a like-minded aurora chasing fellow photographer.  I had taken at least 1000+ photos every night but am sharing my 6 personal favorites (there are just so many!). 

Taken at the Visitors' Lodge of Bettles Lodge

Taken with the Tent as a Foreground

Beautiful colors of the sky - Yellow, red, orange, green, purple

Taken at dawn on the 1st night of dancing - blue hour with colors of the morning
Taken within the woods
my personal favorite - Shooting Star


Hopefully I will be able to do 1-2 time lapses in time to showcase my truly spectacular experience.

Until the next time, onto the world and beyond!

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Out of Norm Travels -Beijing China - Walk up to Great Wall of China (JinShanLing section) on 21 May 2012

Out of Norm Travels - Iceland The Land of Contrasts

Out of Norm Travels - Adventures in Japan: 2019 - (August) Lake Biwa and Osaka Naniwa Yodogawa Fireworks