Out of Norm travels - Visit to the Rat temple aka Karni Mata Hari temple

Let's put it out there.....I am TERRIFIED of Rats. The mere squeak can drive me far away in another direction. yet I put my fears aside when I was told that we will be visiting a rat temple in India. why? Well, simply for the sake of photography. 

The temple is none other than the Hindu temple more commonly known as the Temple of the Rats (aka Karni Mata Hari Temple) in the region of Rajasthan, just outside Bikarner. 

It is interesting to find out facts like some 20,000 rats live in this temple. The rats are believed to be holy and allowed to free roam. I was told that if you don't disturb them, they won't disturb you. So I went along with some other brave souls and bared our feet to walk the grounds. I was also trying my best to spot a white rat, believed to be the most holy out of all the thousands of black/ grey rats scurrying around. And I am glad to say that not only I survived the little walk around but also saw some 3 white rats (most auspicious indeed as guide told us he has not seen so many white rats in all his visits to this location)! Here are some long distance captures of the rats in "action" - definitely not for the squeamish.  

For a Moment, they Look Almost Cute

The Lucky Fella

Mid Air Capture

They are EVERYWHERE! 

Walking Around the Temple Grounds

Till the next time, onto the world & beyond! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Out of Norm Travels -Beijing China - Walk up to Great Wall of China (JinShanLing section) on 21 May 2012

Out of Norm Travels - Iceland The Land of Contrasts

Out of Norm Travels - Adventures in Japan: 2019 - (August) Lake Biwa and Osaka Naniwa Yodogawa Fireworks